Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this trashed 1978 CX. It appears to have been stolen probably in 1979, then dumped at a NYC river (gross back then). The registration stickers say 1979. The odometer states only about 1400 miles. After having washed off construction dust (from sitting in the garage of a building undergoing renovation), it smells like a sewer.

The cooling liquid is bright green. Is that good? What did cooling liquid look like in 1979? Can I use it again and add water or is it too old?

The oil came out pretty clean, but not using that again.

The rubber hoses had to be peeled off everything. Used a thin screwdriver. And now trying to get the rear engine cover unstuck. I want to get the stator from it and use it in my 81 CX500c. Either that or just use this experience for when the 81 engine comes off.

Do I use a razor and go around the gasket?

Also thinking about putting an extra coat of resin or something else insulating on the stator windings before re-installing. Any suggestions?

Planning to restore this engine and maybe design a new frame for it -- one where the engine does NOT have to be removed to service the alternator!

Oh yeah, I took this pic before removing the impeller cover. Can't get the impeller off either! Everything is stuck, except the shifter, as if it's all rusted inside. Do I have to remove the pulser stator too?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

·
Read Only
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have the manual. Didn't see anything about stuck rear engine covers. Did see about removing the pulser stator, though that's not the problem.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Bought this trashed 1978 CX. It appears to have been stolen probably in 1979, then dumped at a NYC river (gross back then). The registration stickers say 1979. The odometer states only about 1400 miles. After having washed off construction dust (from sitting in the garage of a building undergoing renovation), it smells like a sewer.

The cooling liquid is bright green. Is that good? What did cooling liquid look like in 1979? Can I use it again and add water or is it too old?

The oil came out pretty clean, but not using that again.

The rubber hoses had to be peeled off everything. Used a thin screwdriver. And now trying to get the rear engine cover unstuck. I want to get the stator from it and use it in my 81 CX500c. Either that or just use this experience for when the 81 engine comes off.

Do I use a razor and go around the gasket?

Also thinking about putting an extra coat of resin or something else insulating on the stator windings before re-installing. Any suggestions?

Planning to restore this engine and maybe design a new frame for it -- one where the engine does NOT have to be removed to service the alternator!

Oh yeah, I took this pic before removing the impeller cover. Can't get the impeller off either! Everything is stuck, except the shifter, as if it's all rusted inside. Do I have to remove the pulser stator too?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

A small puller would be a good investment here to remove the impeller. A liberal dose of wintergreen oil on the impeller/shaft joint and let it set for a day before pulling. Wintergreen oil can be purchased at most drug stores.

·
Read Only
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A small puller would be a good investment here to remove the impeller. A liberal dose of wintergreen oil on the impeller/shaft joint and let it set for a day before pulling. Wintergreen oil can be purchased at most drug stores.

How about Deep Creep? (pure petroleum that foams)

And what about breaking the seal? I finally got a rubber mallet, but it's not budging. Anyone else have gaskets glued tight?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
i think you will find its the location dowels that are the issue,i ended up...grinding down a 3/8 wood chisel to 10 degrees,then nibble away at the dowel locations.

very slowely,tap away.you need to vibrate the joker off.....but dont rush

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,458 Posts
I use an old fillet knife. It's not very sharp anymore. But with its square spine to tap on, it makes a good wedge. Just remember the dowels are there, so don't tap too hard or too deep.

R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts