Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi CX500 friends!
Here's another no spark thread. After doing some research and reading other threads, I've decided to create another thread because I have a G8 stator and ignitech on a '78 bike. Not sure if that is going to make a difference, but alas, here's the new thread.
  • Story: I drove it at highway speeds for an hour on an extremely hot night in Fort Lauderdale~ it was probably close to 100 degrees F. Also, this is the first time I've driven this bike over 50mph in years. I probably had the bike at 75mph for about 25minutes. Then a 5 minute drive at 35mph to my home. Next morning the starter turned over with plenty of power, but it had no spark to either cylinder.
  • Details: Bike is a '78. With a G8 stator from Custom Rewind and Ignitech ignition
  • Symptoms:
    • The 3prong connector from the stator to the rectifier was melted (see pics)
    • I diode tested the Rectifier and it works fine
    • I purchased a new connector for the Rectifier and wired it up~ still no spark.
    • Stator is in spec as follows (Yes, I know i don't need all the tests with the Ignitech, but I did them any way).
      • 1/5 119.2
      • 2/5 98.7
      • 3/5 235
      • 4/5 118.9
      • 6/5 100.6
      • 7/5 235
      • 8/9 and 5/9~ My stator does not have this connector
    • I tested continuity on the Black/White kill switch wire. The switch works perfectly.
    • Main Fuse from the battery is fine
    • Battery is just under 12 volts~ but I'm sure it was fully charged. I spent a lengthy amount of time trying to start it (I originally thought it was out of gas), and it has been sitting for a month. Battery was purchased new less than a year ago.
    • Ignitech red wire (power wire) is hooked into the brake light wire.
      • I was expecting to see 12V, but it only draws a small amount (sorry I forgot to write it down) as the bike has LED break lights. And, voltage only fluctuates when I press the brake pedal and light up the brakes.
      • With it all plugged in and the bike turned on, I can hear a faint ticking noise coming from the ignitech.
So I'm thinking the ignitech is burned out. Perhaps the Stator produced too much power with the bike at high speed/high rpm, and combined with the 100 degree heat, it melted the connector to the rectifier, thus sending the excess power to the Ignitech and killing it?

Thanks for your help guys!!!!
Dish Tooth Food Finger Cuisine Lock Wire Auto part Finger Cable

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The power for the Ignetec comes from the tail light, not the brake light.
I think your battery is low or done for and you need to repair the stator charging plug/connector.
The bike may start if you hold the brake light on.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
And the damage to your plug looks like the contacts were not clean in the plug itself which creates a lot of resistance and heat

·
Super Moderator
23,094 Posts
Sounds to me like the ignitech has taken a dump. Check its wiring to make sure it has power and ground.

Test the output on its two wires to the ignition coils while cranking the motor.

I don't think these things like heat.

I limped home about 2 and a half years ago on a 115 degree day with the bike barely running. It was the ignitech.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks CXPhreak, I hadn't thought of that. I assume I'd be testing for volts~ What would be a normal output?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts