Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello CX500 community,

I am very new in this forum. I purchased a CX500 from a neighbor who rather than selling it to someone who does not appreciate vintage machines decided to sell me his baby.
Unfortunately, it was not much of a baby. There was a good chunk of missing parts and a few issues to address before getting the bike back on the road.
Among the missing parts, the seat is one of them. Since I am partially restoring the bike and need to replace many parts, I would like to go for a cafe racer look.

After spending several hours online looking for replacement seats, I found the seat shown in the attached pictures.

Here is a link to the seller's site: http://www.kickstartershop.de/en/ca...h-honda-cx-500-cx500-vintage-brown-incl-cover

I would like to get your opinion on the way the seat looks and how it allows you to turn your bike into a cafe racer or a scrambler.

Thanks for your time guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
what model/yr CX do you own?

Fits to following Honda CX models:

Built in 1978-1981 (standard model)
Not suitable for CX500C ("custom" Softchopper, built from 1981),.
and "E" (Euro). Custom models, the rear frame must
cut off behind the shock absorber holder, then himself
also install the seat with a little craftsmanship.

Note: to install of this seat he must (also for standard models)
rear seat mounting bracket are modified, he builds something too high.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry about the delayed response. I am not sure how my post may be fishy. The only reason I provided the link to the seller's site was in case anybody may be interested where I found it.

I actually spoke to the seller over the phone and was told that some modification was definitely needed. I already cut part of the frame. I just need to figure out how to mount the seat. I ended up buying the seat and now awaiting for its arrival.

I have a 1978 Honda CX500 Deluxe but lately it has been a little painful to find the right parts for it. I first had an issue finding the right petcock. I went to my nearest Honda dealer and they sold me a petcock that had a different thread pitch. I did some research and found a replacement one of eBay.

I tried figuring out if this particular engine had the typical 1978 engine issue, but based on the engine model number (PC01E-4203701) this engine was produced way after 1978.

I also had an issue locating the right seal of fork oil seals. After visiting the Honda dealer once again, I had the same issue as with fuel petcock. I received the wrong parts. Based on the parts manual, the 1978 CX500 model did not come with the air-assisted front suspension.

Thanks for your input "nolimitz"

In case you were wondering, I attached a picture of the first motorcycle I ever owned (1966 Honda CB77 Superhawk). I made some light modifications to give it a cafe look.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob,

Welcome, you will find a wealth of information and ideas here. Nice looking CB and CX project, too!
Bill,

I very much appreciate your comment. Btw, the inspiration has come back to me after seeing all the work you put into your CX turning it into a tracker.
I would like to know if you by any change remember the Part # for those K&N pod filters. Also, I would appreciate it if you can provide me with some suggestions (what to do and what not to) on how to rebuild the brake caliper.
It is going be my first time rebuilding a caliper. I have only dealt with brake drums & shoes for the past 5 years.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Rob,

Thanks,

Used K&N RC2340 Pod Filter and they work great.

Referred
to Honda Factory Service manual on caliper rebuild, section 15, it was my first caliper rebuild, too. Installed new piston, pads, and rebuild kit. Had the caliper powder coated, too. Working great with no leaks.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rob,

Thanks,

Used K&N RC2340 Pod Filter and they work great.

Referred
to Honda Factory Service manual on caliper rebuild, section 15, it was my first caliper rebuild, too. Installed new piston, pads, and rebuild kit. Had the caliper powder coated, too. Working great with no leaks.

Hope this helps!
Thanks again Bill,

Tomorrow, I will be heading to my local Advance Auto Parts where I will be using my friends employee discount (Hahaha) to order those K&N Filters.
Have you had any issues using these filters? I only ask because I came across this thread -- http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-customization-mods-forum/14114-pods-plug-atmospheric-ports.html

I will be taking a stab a the caliper over the weekend. Hopefully it goes smoothly (keeping my fingers crossed)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Rob,

No issues with K&N RC2340 pods! This 54MM K&N filter does not have the internal shoulder to cause issues with air flow.

My CX runs fine, Larry rebuilt the carburetor. Also tested one of Murray's Mikuni carburetor upgrades on one of his test bikes.
His CX500 ran very strong with his upgrade.

Murrays Carbs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks for the info on those pods filters. I have decided, since I have the bike apart, I may as well upgrade the carburetors on my CX500.
I will soon be ordering a pair of Murray carbs and install it over the winter and have the bike ready by the time the spring comes around.

Rob,

No issues with K&N RC2340 pods! This 54MM K&N filter does not have the internal shoulder to cause issues with air flow.

My CX runs fine, Larry rebuilt the carburetor. Also tested one of Murray's Mikuni carburetor upgrades on one of his test bikes.
His CX500 ran very strong with his upgrade.

Murrays Carbs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In case anyone may be interested, here are some pictures of the seat on my CX500. I had to build a sub-frame for the seat and it fit nicely.
While building the sub-frame, I attempted to fabricate a radiator guard and I think I did pretty good (given my almost nonexisting welding skills).
I had the gas tank and seat hump painted to match. I also decided to use a pair of bullet style brake lights. I mounted them where the turn signals would normally go.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle Tire
Speedometer Gauge Tachometer Auto part Measuring instrument
Product Iron Mesh Metal Font
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 11 of 11 Posts