Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would guess that the CX500 has sat for maybe 19 years.it was not running when i got it due to the carb floats sticking i think, previous owner said he had it running only for a short time. what maintenance or repairs should be done. or do I take the engine out and take it apart to check it out any suggestions would be great thanks

·
Registered
835 Posts
You have a long list there, but your questions indicate you know what needs to be done.

a) Get yourself a manual. (for an e-edition, look for Blindstitch's signature line, I think he has a link)

b.)remove the carbs - and send them to Larry.... They'll be ready when the rest of the bike is.

c) Get a good battery, and see if she'll crank over.

d) check for spark, then if necessary, remove and replace the spark plugs. (or look for problem in electrical)

e) remove and replace the radiator fluid.

f) Take a look at the oil - Remove the oil, and examine if there are any metal flakes in it.

if you do.... you're in for cam-chain, and guide replacement. (report back - or search 'triple bypass')

g) if the tires are indeed 19 years old... toss them, and get new.

h) inspect and test all lights signals etc,

i) inspect and replace if necessary Front brake pads, disk, Rear shoes, and drum.

These are just a start. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
CXSarnia has some great advice. I'm finishing up these steps myself.

Some of the webpages I've kept track of:

-- Quick Reference

-- He's got a different page here too which has been helpful.

-- You're local Honda Dealer (ask CXSarnia a fellow Canadian). Order parts and pick 'em up to save a bit of money.

-- Shep's sites are fantastic as well. Global CX-Twins

and his Twisted Twins page.

There is a ton of info here and great folks to help,

but you'll need to do the leg work and probably most of the handy-work to get the job done.

Decide early what your parameters are (Money, Time-frame, and Quality (what you're starting with and what the goal is). There are cheaper substitutes out there, but may require more of that Handy-work.

Great bikes to work on !! And lots of help out there !!

--Keith

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am Getting a clymer manual from a honda dealer.

took carbs of and took apart they need a good cleaning

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Soak the carbs in a 50/50 mix of pinesol and water for about 6-8 hours. Give em a once over with a an old toothbrush and then rinse with water. Hit em with an air compressor to dry em up.

Ohhhh....remove jets first.
clean those seperately.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If the motor has not been started in many years, may I suggest before you start it, to take the valve covers off, blow the dust out, and pour a bit of oil down where the rods are. Check the air cleaner and at least blow it out before you suck junk into your clean carbs. Change the brake fluid and brake line. Make sure your cables feel free. Grease the wheel bearings, output shaft, and whatnot. Change the coolant and rear transfer case oil. Some would suggest taking out the clutch plates and soaking them in oil for a day or 2. DO NOT even THINK about going for a ride on tires over 8 years old!!! The rubber is so hard I had my back end slide out from under me on a turn. They were 10 years old. Eventually you will want new fork seals and fresh oil there. Cheap batteries are cheap. Depending on budget, get a battery with a year warranty. With unknown possible electrical problems, you just might use the warranty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts