Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1978 cx500 master cylinder rebuild kit?

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  marshallf3 
#1 ·
I have a 1978 CX500 and am looking for a rebuild kit for my master cylinder for the front brake. I have found tons of places online and ebay that sell for later models but I am having a tough time finding one for my year. It is the one that is round and metal. Or does anyone know a good place to buy a cheap aftermarket master cylinder that would work on my bike. I like the look of the ones where the reservoir is white plastic and not attached to the lever. Thanks guys.

Cody

#2 ·
Cody, a number of people here have bought after market master cylinders on ebay. Some have had great success with them, some (me) not. You should be able to find a discussion on the same not very far down in this forum.

K&L sells a re-build kit. Any motorcycle shop in Orlando will have their catalog and can order it for you. I had better luck with this kit than the ebay MC mentioned before. But, again, others have had the opposite results.

good luck,

wayne

#5 ·
You need to match the cc's of brake fluid volume to the caliper. I'm wondering if the kit that fits a '79 might be the same?

If you like your original, as I do mine, you may have to find a decent one off a bike someone's parting out.

Alternate: Call TAS or GeorgeFix and they may be able to hook you up with the proper kit.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I've been very pleased with the aftermarket m/c purchased from USA Motorcycles (think that's the company) on the 'bay. They sell a good product at a good price - around $50.00. Combined with the stainless steel braided brake line, the performance has been upgraded a good amount.

#8 ·
Bryan,

Do you know what to search on ebay to find that item. Every time I search "motorcycle master cylinder" or "universal motorcycle master cylinder" I only get a few items that are made by Nissin and are about $200. Maybe Im searching improperly.

Thanks

Cody

#9 ·
Just get the OEM Honda kit from that last link I posted, it was something like $38 + shipping or pay the dealer $60.

You will need a good set of circlip pliers with an assortment of tips and a good soaking in penetrating lube to get the dumb clip out but it's easy from there on.

Tip: Get some round paint sprayer cleaning brushes (nylon) and scrub the heck out of the bore, you'll also need a tiny drill bit to clean out the return passage.

Worst case look for one that fits a Suzuki that has the same cc displacement. If you get that wrong you end up with virtually no brakes or way too much. There's a reference posted somewhere about the cc specs for the MCs of various models somewhere in the forum, can't remember where though.

#11 ·
I found a replacement listed on eBay that would probably work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FR-B...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c18cfc66

Auction's about over but I'm sure they have more. I have not compared the piston displacement though, should be close enough.

Guess I was just being picky on mine, I had to go through three (theoretically good but turned out to be bad ones) until I finally scored on an exact 1979 Custom that was in perfect working order and rebuilt, including the reservoir, not long before the guy had completely parted the bike out. The one for the Custom bars has to have an angle to it and the OEM had 4, not 2 screws on the reservoir.

I'd have to say the MC, an H-box with perfect shields, the exact repro silencers, excellent set of headlight ears and an almost perfect headlight were the hardest parts of all to find. Most expensive was the silencers as the ones for the Custom are a bit different, had to get them all the way from the UK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.