Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I just bought my bike about a week ago and it is my first bike. I haven't ridden one in a long time--literally years, but after shaking off the rust, it's like riding a bike (pun intended). Now i'm facing a few problems.

The previous owner told me the carburetor needed to be re-jetted (anytime I open the throttle to try to get up to speed with the flow of traffic, the engine fights the acceleration, kinda jerks me forward a tad, and I hear some popping coming from the exhaust. Reading this forum leads me to believe that this might indeed be the solution). Can anyone refer to me any videos that show how this is done. I'm getting mixed signals from gearheads that this is something super easy as well as that it is something I shouldn't attempt.

Second question: I have been reading that since there is no fuel gauge, the solution to getting to the nearest station when you are low is to turn the fuel tap to reserve. Either there are other issues going on with my bike aside from the carb or I ran into the problem of low fuel. I'm hoping for the latter. I did not know that there was a fuel tap or a reserve so when I got to the side of the road, I didn't think to check that. Can anyone tell me where I can find the fuel tap switch is (is switch even the right term to use?)?

Any help would be great! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,265 Posts
Fuel tap - otherwise known as the petcock - is on the left hand side of the fuel tank towards the rear. Here's some pics of one out of the bike (you won't see the straw etc. when it's screwed into the tank): Link

Regarding the jetting... Has the bike had the intake or exhaust components modified (pod filters, aftermarket exhausts)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for that link. I'm going to be so mad at myself if it really was a fuel problem as to why my bike was sputtering and dying at stops. Aside from the carb issues I've been having, it runs well once I get it going and it hadn't died at stops until this afternoon. I'm still praying that that is all that is happening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As others have stated, it could be just a simple as not using the petcock correctly. Vacuum pressured petcocks threw me for a loop coming from gravity fed ones, I had to understand how the prime worked and such.

But, you did mention rejetting and the only reason you ever need to rejet is if you put on a different air source like pod filters, or you changed your exhaust mufflers to baffleless or aftermarket ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts