Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

My name is John O. Salazar from Shelby NC

I am new to the forum and looking for some help with my carburetors.

My bike is a 1978 CX500 with 10,000 miles.

All is working perfect with the exception of the carburetors, they are over flowing.

After a total clean up and rebuild by me, same problem. Took the bike to my Honda dealer and they told my that I need two new float bowls since the over flow tubes are split and leaking gas.

(1)Is this common? (2) Can I buy the over flow tubes only? (3) Can I buy the bowls with the over flow tube? (4) Is Mr. Larry Cargill rebuilding CX carburetors for the public? And if he is, can I get and address?

Thank you

JOS

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You can fix the split overflow tubes by soldering them. I have never had to do this yet but it should be fairly easily done.

If you can't do it yourself you may know someone who is used to soldering(plumber,etc.)

I would also think you might find a small gas resistant hose that would fit tight over the tube and cover the split. If the split goes all the way to the base of the bowl it may not work though.

Here is a link to replacing the tubes at Shep's site.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Hi John, and welcome to the forum.

Allen is right, you can soldier them up to seal them again. But if the split goes all the way to the bottom of the bowl, that may not always do it because the soldier won't stick the the aluminum.

I have come up with a process to make new brass tubes to press into the bowls. 1/8" brass tubing that is expanded at the bottom to fit in tightly after machining them to a taper on my lathe. The tips are rolled over too just like the OEM tubes. Lots of guys have gotten these in the carbs I rebuild for them and don't even know they were replaced.

But if you want to try to fix them with soldier it's not that hard. Just clean them up good with steel wool and use flux when you do the soldiering. The ideal way to clean them first would be to have them glass beaded. That ensures everything is super clean so the soldier flows evenly.

You can send me the bowls if you want, or the whole carbs if you want them rebuilt. The rebuild price ($265) will include replacing those tubes too. Send me a PM or an email and I'll get with you on the details for shipping.

Larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.