Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I should finally start my own build thread. I have done a bit of tinkering and stripping and cleaning and cutting and other stuff.

I little background.

It all started mid August when I accidently came across a 1978 CX500 in the local classifieds. Gave the guy a ring, went over, and bought it.

The motor was stripped for a re-build as the Crank broke in half.

My second post of the forum was me looking for a replacement crank. Someone heard my call, MCreviver. What an awesome guy!! We started Skyping and emailing each other about new and old parts. After some more stripping of my CX, MCreviver ended up getting 3 big boxes filled with new and used parts. He did this all for nothing (except the cost of the parts). He has to be one of the nicest guys I have met on a forum. A lot has happened in between, but this is my build thread and I don't want to bore anyone.

MCreviver, YOU ARE AWESOME!!

So now the parts are making there way here to Cape Town. It's been about two weeks and I can't contain my excitement!

I will just post as I go along, no order what so ever.

Please comment as much as you like, advice is always welcome!! :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is more or less what I am trying to replicate, with some of my own touches. I don't know who it belongs to, so, "Sorry for stealing your pic, and idea" ;)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some original pics before the strip,

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

and engine stripped.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire
Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Engine Motorcycle

Motor outside

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Carburetor

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Radiator redone.

Before,
Radiator Auto part Gas

After,
Radiator

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I tinkered a little with the seat. I am not sure I like it.

I got hold of an old rolling frame with a seat and rusty tank and I am using it to toy around with.

I cut the old seat pan down and the foam. Then trimmed off the rear seat support on the frame and I am still deciding if I want to keep it on the original frame or not.

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Suspension part Vehicle brake
Auto part Vehicle Engine Suspension Automotive engine part
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Alloy wheel Tire
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Fender

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got some really nice rear shocks from timothy_d

He cleaned them up real nice and sold them to me for almost nothing. THANKS TIM!!

Suspension part Shock absorber Auto part Coil spring Suspension

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Hurley.
I got it re-cored at a local radiator repair shop. $80 in total including the re-spray.
Next time round I will first have the metal bead blasted then it should look better than new.:D

Wow, that's an amazing improvement.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting the rear end sorted with a little help from a friend. Slowly but surely.

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you guys think I have enough travel to still fit a rear fender?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But I have seen other guys with the roughly the same builds, and with lower rear shocks. What have they done differently?
What do you mean by "install struts"?
your tire is going to hit unless you only weigh 38 pounds or are planing to install struts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone know what the travel is on our standard shocks?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These are the measurements I took. The furthest part of the loop to the tyre is 65mm and the shocks have not been adjusted. Please have a look and comment.

Coil spring Auto part Suspension part Suspension Shock absorber

Coil spring Auto part Suspension Suspension part Metal

·
Registered
24,468 Posts
struts are solid rods instead of shocks

the original brace that is cut off the frame rises up over the frame it is the bump stop to prevent the tire from

hitting the seat pan

a lot of the mods done by people do wind up hitting the frame or scrubbing tires so be aware that just because you see it does not mean it works

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What about guys that put on shorter shocks. Do they put in stiffer coils?

struts are solid rods instead of shocks

the original brace that is cut off the frame rises up over the frame it is the bump stop to prevent the tire from

hitting the seat pan

a lot of the mods done by people do wind up hitting the frame or scrubbing tires so be aware that just because you see it does not mean it works

·
Registered
24,468 Posts
most of the shorter shock setup is a bogus looks only setup if you shorten the shocks more than a inch without greatly stiffening the springs

you will offset the driveline and exceed the safe running and durability rating of the driveshaft ujoint it should not run ore that 4.5 degrees permanent deflection

loaded and 7.5 degrees and full torque load intermittently

13 inch shocks have typically min of 3.5 and normally about 3.9 inches of travel or 88.9 -100 mm of travel

12 inch shocks are nominally 3- 3.25 or 76-82.5 mm

a lot of people that you see building bikes here dont know or dont care about the saftey aspect or safe handling and we dont have

safety inspections that catch these things so people just do whatever that want and go for looks only items

even the insurance companies here have not started inspections yet

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I am screwed. My idea is not going to work. Any ideas on what I can do to the rear so I can fit a flat seat?

·
Registered
149 Posts
My bike has stock shocks and with only one person (about 80 kg) on the bike It never happened to hit the tire on the softest adjustment and if you go with 2 persons (140-150 kg max) , the shock should be on the stiffest adjustment and be careful on speed bumps and such or you will hit it, it happened to me a couple of times.

On other bike I'm build right now, I'm on Koni shock witch are way stiffer but still haven't ride it.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.