Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. I just joined today although I have been lurking here for a month. I recently purchased a 1980 CX 500 C for $100.00 it runs and has a title which in Pa. is very important. The bike set outside for about 13 years so it is not pretty, but it will be hopefully. I am trying to make a quazi flat-tracker for the street from this bike and would like to put a 19 inch rear wheel on it. Does anyone know if this works and even if there is such a wheel out there. I think I read somewhere that certain models had a 19 inch rear. Thanks wilburj

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
19 is stock front and 16 rear... I doubt a 19" would clear the stock arm out back... maybe?

the biggest hurdle here is the shaft drive hub comstar wheel combo... I don't know if there is a larger diameter wheel that would connect to the drive hub without being custom built.

a 100 dollar bike with a 2ooo$ wheel does not seem practical. But then I hear the stereos in some cars...

anything can be done, If you have the skills, magic money time etc... I'd keep it sorta stock, learn it's already different "differentness" and then go to modifying...

]send pics

J

oh. and hi, im new here too

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
 I think you can do it with a custom, I know it works for the deluxe but you can replace that 16 inch wheel with one from a cx standard.  Only reason it might not work is the fender clearance, but everything else should just be bolt and go.  Spanish Bandit did it to his GL, it will lower your rpms a bit for a given speed.  It'll look different because I think the larger rear wheel was only ever a standard comstar, not the reverse comstar like your custom and my deluxe have. 

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the correction, that's what I was trying to say with Bandit's example.  This is what you want if you want a larger diameter wheel, unless you are going to go crazy and do a complete conversion to something else:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978...6859254QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
So any 78 cx will have an 18 inch wheel? That would work pretty well, it's just that the 16 inch wheel makes it look kind of chopperish and that is not the look I am after. I just got a XR750 seat from Fed-EX this evening and it looks superb. Also am curious if people are making their own exhaust pipes or is there a good aftermarket cheepie to look for. I know that Harley Davidson Dyna mufflers fit a lot of bikes and can be picked up on e-bay for a handy price. Any comments? thanks wilburj

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
The 78 wheel with 18 inch rim is your best option. Otherwise you're probably looking at a custom cast to make a 19 inch wheel and extending the swing arm.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Actually here's another option but the machining would probably take longer than worth while compared to putting on a 18 inch rim.

Here you go,from ' Floris' in Amsterdam Holland

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157600090916417/show/

Floris:

" You start with the hubs, you take them from the original CX wheels. Next you choose the rims you because to use, secondhand or new ones. Be sure not to pick to extreme ones, because or the space between the fork (130mm with back, 110mm ate the front) This because the maximum. width or the tires. You'll need inertubes, take notice or that!

Then you'll property to find some craftsman, WHO can make disks for you from 5mm stock.

For the rear wheel you need 2 ring ø270mm outside, and ø190mm on the inside.

The front wheel will need two ring ø160mm for the outside, and ø95mm for the inside.

For rims with 40 holes you need to drill 20 holes by ring for the spokes. Be sure to drill the holes as you can see on the pictures and be sure to taper the angle or the disk's, otherwise the spokes will break eventually.

Take the rims and ring and hubs to someone WHO can do the spokes for you.

And to rob you from your charge penny's, add some new rubber to the rims (with innertubes!) "

rims used were cb400

·
Registered
170 Posts
You could do this with comstars to get the old board tracker look, but it is quite involved. You would need to use a 19" front rim and drill all the rivets and remove the spokes, then do the same to the rear rim. Now you would have to fabricate new metal sheet spoke sections as per the original, but taking into account the level of offset you need to build in to the rear hub so that the 19" rim is in the centre of the frame. If you have access to an air nibbler and a sheet brake its actually not that difficult. However, to ensure mechanical truth of the wheel, you will need to machine a rear wheel riveting jig, so that it all laces up square and true

Easiest option overall is to make spoked rims from ring blanks attached to the rear hub as described earlier, as if you do wish to make a board racer lookalike, then they used 23" rims front and rear, not 19". Fortunately they now once more make 23" front tyres that you can use front and rear, just remember to run the tyre on the rear (which will be a front tyre) against the rotation arrows for proper safety

·
Registered
816 Posts
Good afternoon. I just joined today although I have been lurking here for a month. I recently purchased a 1980 CX 500 C for $100.00 it runs and has a title which in Pa. is very important. The bike set outside for about 13 years so it is not pretty, but it will be hopefully. I am trying to make a quazi flat-tracker for the street from this bike and would like to put a 19 inch rear wheel on it. Does anyone know if this works and even if there is such a wheel out there. I think I read somewhere that certain models had a 19 inch rear. Thanks wilburj

Welcome to the group! As has been mentioned, the 78 CX wheels would get you closer to your goal. You could also paint the rims if you are trying to go for the black rim/silver spokes. Those modified wheels do look pretty cool for round spoke wheels. Good for you on the price - got my '78 for $275. The '82 I bought for parts was a $50 and it supplied the good engine parts. Titles are important as well!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread as I just got myself a set of 78 wheels

I have a related question so thought I would just tack on here rather than start a new thread:

Will I need any special parts to convert my '79 custom frame to handle the '78 rear wheel? Can I just use the '79 axle and spacers? I did notice that the rims differed:

79 = 2.5 x 16

78 = 2.15 x 18

I was hoping the hub was identical so straight swap.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
 It'll look different because I think the larger rear wheel was only ever a standard comstar, not the reverse comstar like your custom and my deluxe have. 

Actually you can get an 18 inch rear reverse comstar,,there was a member on the old forum, DaWei that got one from Down Under. See this thread.(unfortunately the pic has been deleted.)

Here is a pic of an 81 custom with comstar wheels,,18" on the rear.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I just recently put my 18 inch wheel on my CX500 custom. Looks a lot better now, in my opinion...and handling is great too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts