Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,
I have a '83 CX650C that I'm wanting to make into a scrambler. I would like to replace the rear wheel, which is 15", with an 18" rim. I purchase an older 18" wheel from a CX500 but was told it wouldn't work. I would like the larger wheel to be able to have a better selection of tire to choose from. Any ideas or recommendations?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
CX650E is an 18" rear, but then you have the problem of the disc brake versus drum brake going on.

You might be able to run a 16" GL650 rim, but that's about as big as it gets without modification.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I'll try finding a GL650 wheel or something. I just would like a bigger rim so I have a better tire selection. I am going the route of making it into a scrambler style bike and would like a dual sport tire that would fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, Im looking to do the same thing with my CX650 C. Its been a while since this thread was active but were you able to find something that worked?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Murray, what if they swap the drive pumpkin off of a GL650 along with the GL wheel?
Or is that another 3 bolt / 4 bolt issue?

·
Registered
24,200 Posts
3 bolt 4 bolt

however i did one where i used a vt800 spoke rear wheel that works on the cx650 rear

i had it laced to a 18 inch hoop by buchanans

and used a cb650 spoked front wheel with a custom rotor it cost a shit pile of money but looked cool

1 - 11 of 11 Posts