Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
18" or 19" rear wheel with 16" front wheel?

Did a front end swap with a 16" wheel on my 79, original 19" rear wheel is looking gigantic now. I have an 18" from another 79 I think. Should I swap? Is there any point or change in tire diameter if I do the swap? Does this change the geometry? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CX rear wheels {not euro} are 18 inch for standard bikes. 16 inch for 500C and 500D.

If your 79 has an 18 you can go down to a 16.

Fronts on these models were 19".
Thanks for the response. I'm confused. Or maybe I confused you. I had a 19" front and a 19" rear. Now I have a 16" front.

I have available to me an 18" rear. Trying to decide between 18" rear or 19" rear.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
No CX ever had a 19" rear wheel. The only choices are 18" Comstar from the '78 and early '79 Standards, and 16" Reverse Comstar from the '79 and later Custom, Deluxe, and Silverwing. Read the side of the tire to see what you have.

R

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No CX ever had a 19" rear wheel. The only choices are 18" Comstar from the '78 and early '79 Standards, and 16" Reverse Comstar from the '79 and later Custom, Deluxe, and Silverwing. Read the side of the tire to see what you have.

R
I guess that explains the confusion! This is what happens when you have more than one bike project.

SO, I now know I have an 18" Rear and a 16" front. I have the option to keep the 18" rear or go with with a 16" rear. Suggestions?

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
The 16" rear usually wears a slightly larger profile tire, but it will still raise your engine speed a little compared to the 18". And how wide is your new front wheel? The rear Comstar is 18x2.15. The Reverse Comstar is 16x2.50. It would be odd to run a wider front than rear wheel.

The pertinent question may be which wheel best matches your front donor in appearance?

R

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Randall. I'll have to get the dimensions off the front tire. The front end was from an Kawasaki EX500, I'll have to do some research to find the width. Not sure I can measure it with the tire on.

Just finishing up details on the tank now and when I stood back and really looked at it, I noticed how odd it almost looks, maybe its just me. Looks similar to this bike:

Jesse-Hayes-CX500-2.jpg

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
The wheel size may be stamped in the rim somewhere.

According to the specs I found, your front wheel should be a 16x2.15, so it should be an OK match for the 18x2.15, or a better match for the 16x2.50.

R

·
Administrator
1,569 Posts
Raising the rear of the tank will cause issues with reserve. As in, you won't have much of any. When you raise the rear of the tank even slightly, the fuel on the right side of the tank can no longer make it to the left side of the tank, and your reserve is cut in half. I barely get 15 miles, nursing it, before I'm bone dry. More like 12, really, as it starts coughing a few miles before it's out completely.

FYI, the first gen EX500 can run either a 120/90/16 or 130/90/16 rear tire. There is a better selection of 130s, so that's what most people run. So the CX Custom rim seems like the way to go to match that look. Although I kinda dig the look above. That said, the tire on the front rim looks oversized. It should be a 100/90/16 on the 1st gen EX500 rim. That appears to be a 110/90/16, if I'm not mistaken.

Charles.

·
Administrator
1,569 Posts
Regarding the tank, it seems that a lot of customizers raise the rear of the tank so it aligns with the frame. That may be what looks out of place.

R
Raising the rear of the tank practically eliminates your Reserve. Fuel from the right side of the tank cannot cross back to the left, and you essentially run out of gas roughly ten miles after switching over. A longer straw is only marginally helpful. This is with the front of the tank dropped only a little from stock. With a radical flattening, you also will have to deal with the fact that there will be a lot of fuel at the front of the tank that is also inaccessible, further reducing your overall range and your range on reserve. Altering the angle will require adding additional bungs to the tank to maintain some semblance of daily-driver-ness.

Charles.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Get good at extended wheelies? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
FWIW, the 18" wheel with the specified tire size and the 16" wheel with the specified tire size are within a couple of percent of the same diameter so changing will not appreciably affect engine RPM, mileage &c as postulated in post #6.

If it was me I would have looked for an 18" front wheel that I could adapt to the new front end. The OP has not been back for a couple of years so we may never know what he actually did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts