Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

I bought a rusty CX 500 Custom because I like the look of the 16" rim. I had it powder coated and put it on my CX 500 B from 81.

I kept the shaft drive from my B model. I havent had the bike for a run yet- but it seems as the wheel goes around badly... The shaft drive had some thick greasy oil in it. See the picture.

I want to change the oil in the shaft drive- can it just remove all off the grease? Or do it need to be there? And what can it be- that makes the wheel go around bad?

Best regards from Casper, Denmark

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
If there is grease or oil inside the shaft housing then the final drive seal needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Not sure why wheel is turning poorly without better description of symptoms. Make sure you have adequate grease and oil.

Final drive oil goes in #2 and drains #3, Self contained with breather #1. The grease you are showing is put in through the grease fitting #4

Auto part Automotive super charger part Automotive engine part Automotive starter motor Tool accessory

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,449 Posts
There's an axle spacer that fits inside the final drive from the wheel side. If that's missing, could it cause a problem in the hypoid gears?

R

·
Super Moderator
23,402 Posts
Does the wheel have both wheel bearings? One of my bikes here has a floppy rear wheel because a bearing has been removed at some point, - presumably to pirate the bearing spacer tube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts