Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09-17-2010

Howdy,

I am wondering if the inspection/access caps on the engine of a GL500 are interchangeable; I am referring to the cap that covers the port to set the Cam chain tension (aft of the cylinders) and the cap that covers the access to the crankshaft bolt (also for the Cam chain procedure). I wonder if the threading is the same and so forth. I would check by removing those on my bike, except the front cover is really deteriorated, so I might not be able to reinstall that if that cap is removed. I would want to have a replacement handy before proceeding, &c.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Yes.There are 3 on the bikes.One at the front covering the end of the crank shaft(Used for setting TDC for doing the tappets/cam-chain)

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/CXGLTappets.htm#CXGLTappets

One on the top right hand side rear of the engine and the Filler cap on the Rear shaft drive box.

If you cannot get one from a Honda/Bike dealer they are also used on Honda-engined boats,

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/honda/H-12361-300-000.html?gclid=CMavqoy-j6QCFUH92AodomcrHQ

But they are supposed to have an O-ring with them for sealing.

http://www.donandroys.com/fiche_sec...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1979&fveh=3397

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ok rick you can shine a turd ok not every one can do that..........your polishing makes me sick......if i only had the time and place to do that not to forget about the cash........i think i would even polish the turn signal lens if i had the know how but sorry to hijack but rickbert started it

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
ok rick you can shine a turd ok not every one can do that..........your polishing makes me sick......if i only had the time and place to do that not to forget about the cash........i think i would even polish the turn signal lens if i had the know how but sorry to hijack but rickbert started it

LMAO......oh now Lucky just calm down.....sorry to make you sick, do you need a polishing immunization ?

Actually you really don't need a place or a lot of money, so I don't know what you're getting at there ? Everything that I've polished I've done with the part ON the bike...the only things that were off the bike when polished were the carb caps and bowls...Larry did that. The body of the carbs I did right on the bike along with the clutch cover, radiator cover, final drive etc etc. SO you can do whatever polishing you need to do right out in your driveway IF you really wanted to. I don't have a power bench grinder/polisher like some guys do either, I did it all by hand on the bike...so WTH is YOUR real excuse here ?

As far as money goes the only money spent was $3 or so each time I get a container of Mothers Mag. So there really are NO excuses IF you want to do it then just freaking do it. I support 6 kids, do you think I'm freaking rich or something ??

That being said a lot of the CX brothers don't really care about the looks of their bikes they just want them to run right and that's ok too, it's just a personal thing with them as it is with me. I like to crack jokes about myself and my polishing fetish because a lot of others here have joked with me about it....but to each his/her own.

To say that the fact that someone else can do it and the fact that you can't makes you sick is also CRAP. The fact that my polishing makes you SICK is about the most bullshit I've ever read on here, WTH is that ??........So PLEASE quit your whining and get off your ass and just do it......that is IF you really want to !

AND I'd have NO interest in polishing a turd as you stated.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
wow i didnt mean to piss you off rick i was just screwing with you thats all and i do plan on doing some polishing i have nothing agaisnt your skills i like them i really do so i call a not fair at all bro lol

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hey there rick...what is this "mother's mag," and would you mind explaining your polishing techniques to those of us who are ignorant? i would really like to shine some stuff on my bike.

"Mothers Mag" is a brand of aluminum polish that you can get at most auto parts stores.....if all you have on the aluminum is oxidation and stains then you just rub it on and rub it off with a rag....you'll have a lot of black on the rag....you just keep doing this over and over until you get your desired shine, it's really that simple. On my forks and the body of the carbs that's all I had to do.

On the valve covers and possibly the radiator cover you might have to sand first as a lot of times there is that nasty factory clear coat on it that has dulled out over the years and you have to get it off first to get down to the bare aluminum then polish with Mothers Mag.

To sand, first you simply start with a rougher sandpaper say 180 or 320 grit and then go up in number to a finer then next a finer paper then a finer paper up to say 1500 until you have all the scratches out that you made with the lower numbered rougher paper then rub real good with 000 grade steel wool .......then use the Mothers Mag.

Another Mothers Mag product that I've used is called "Black Back" it brought the faded black parts back to new like the black around the gauges and some of the rubber hoses and the final drive cover.....as well you can use the Black Back on the black painted part of the frame, the drive shaft etc etc and the old black paint looks new again as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
LMAO......oh now Lucky just calm down.....sorry to make you sick, do you need a polishing immunization ?

Actually you really don't need a place or a lot of money, so I don't know what you're getting at there ? Everything that I've polished I've done with the part ON the bike...the only things that were off the bike when polished were the carb caps and bowls...Larry did that. The body of the carbs I did right on the bike along with the clutch cover, radiator cover, final drive etc etc. SO you can do whatever polishing you need to do right out in your driveway IF you really wanted to. I don't have a power bench grinder/polisher like some guys do either, I did it all by hand on the bike...so WTH is YOUR real excuse here ?

As far as money goes the only money spent was $3 or so each time I get a container of Mothers Mag. So there really are NO excuses IF you want to do it then just freaking do it. I support 6 kids, do you think I'm freaking rich or something ??

That being said a lot of the CX brothers don't really care about the looks of their bikes they just want them to run right and that's ok too, it's just a personal thing with them as it is with me. I like to crack jokes about myself and my polishing fetish because a lot of others here have joked with me about it....but to each his/her own.

To say that the fact that someone else can do it and the fact that you can't makes you sick is also CRAP. The fact that my polishing makes you SICK is about the most bullshit I've ever read on here, WTH is that ??........So PLEASE quit your whining and get off your ass and just do it......that is IF you really want to !

AND I'd have NO interest in polishing a turd as you stated.

Rick, now i understand why and how you bike looks sooo good. 6 kids you say. I've got 4, one with cerebral palsy. some days i'll retreat to the garage for some mental down time often! I wish i could keep mine that nice but commuting 10-12k a year in all weather conditions make it tough ,not to mention the time the kids require. good work , polish on.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yeah there's nothing like going to the garage.............that is til the wife and kids come out !...LMAO !

I also understand what you're saying....I work from home so mine is strictly for pleasure riding, so I only ride in good weather, makes it easier to keep clean, no doubt.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Rick, now i understand why and how you bike looks sooo good. 6 kids you say. I've got 4, one with cerebral palsy. some days i'll retreat to the garage for some mental down time often!

I have an adopted teenager with some emotional and anger management issues...Luckily just one...but I still need to get out now and again. I just wish my garage was usable and not full of junk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts