Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had any luck finding a pair of knobby (dual sport tires) that would fit the Honda gl500 safely. I’ve been looking but haven’t had any luck. The tread I’m looking doesn’t need to be crazy just a little more than the interstate tires I have on it now. There are plenty of dirt roads where i live so that’s why I’m curious (although I do ride on the interstate to work).

Thanks!

If there is no luck on knobby tires, what would be a good interstate tire fit?

Basically I need new tires and if possible I would like them the be dual sport, if not that’s fine too.

Thanks! I’ll keep on searching!

-M

·
Registered
402 Posts
to get a better selection of Dual Sport tires some have gone to an 18 inch rear wheel from the 78 CX.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,293 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered) to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature) so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget.

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership. Your bike has had about 37 years of Previous Owners who may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage. I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) start shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

I won't tell you to check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old (like I normally do at this point) because you are obviously planning to replace them anyway. I had a similar problem to yours when I had my GL500 except that mine was my winter vehicle so I needed tires with deep lugs for snow tires. At that time the only thing available was the Bridgestone Trail Wing On/Off but the one I tried wore out very fast (centreline bald at 5000 Km). With no other options available I spent about the same as the Bridgestone would have cost for a wheel and an 18" dual purpose tire that lasted about twice as long.

There are other 16" dual sport tires available now but I am not familiar with them because I installed an 18" wheel on Eccles (the CX650E based machine I've driven for the last 12 winters) when I put it together so I haven't needed to look for 16" tires (my preference for most of that time has been the Kenda K270 but they don't make a 16" rear).

I've changed the title of this thread so that it will hopefully catch the attention of some of the forum members that have used some of the 16" ones that have come on the market in recent years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts