Honda CX 500 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Paul, I found another key for you to try.
The way I keep finding parts and tools I didn't know I had, I wouldn't be surprised to find another complete bike in there.

Randall

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Lee, it's good to hear you made it through Saturday night. Hopefully, tonight will be quieter.

Randall

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry I missed. My youngest son lives 1 block from lake street in a studio apt. We spent Saturday moving him out.
He said it was not that the area was bad, but there is nowhere to go or shop anymore close by. He was close to where he worked, Teen Challenge. He could walk to work. He is pretty bummed. Many other people were moving also. It will take years for that community to recover.

·
Premium Member
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,080 Posts
Sorry I missed. My youngest son lives 1 block from lake street in a studio apt. We spent Saturday moving him out.
He said it was not that the area was bad, but there is nowhere to go or shop anymore close by. He was close to where he worked, Teen Challenge. He could walk to work. He is pretty bummed. Many other people were moving also. It will take years for that community to recover.
the irony is, our neighborhood is sympathetic to justice for George Floyd. We are actually North of where he was killed. The Cup Grocery neighborhood, where it happend, is pretty much untouched because locals were out and on guard every night..
We sustained most of the vandalism. Neighbors have stood outside of Longfellow Market every night and even chased a person away who was trying to set the building on fire. The persons setting fires are really not a part of the protests.Longfellow Market is our only local grocery untouched.
Many of the businesses are minority owned. You are right, it will take years to rebuild and some businesses already stressed by Covid-19 were done in by this.

I was up until 3AM keeping an eye on the neighborhood. It was quiet, except for the Blackhawks overhead. I did find out that my newest nextdoor neighbor is a Marine Medic veteran and served two tours in Afghanistan. He said to get him if anybody needs help because emergency services are so taxed, not all calls are being answered.
. We are going shooting when when the ranges open. He likes WWII rifles too.
The neighborhood is really getting organizing and getting stronger. Sanford School had a huge response to its emergency food program. They had to open satellite drop off/pick up sites to handle all the response. Getting to know the neighbors and their positive responses are the best thing to come out of all this.
Me and Momo will watch the neighborhood again tonight. If it is quiet, maybe we will get to bed before 3AM.

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
566 Posts
the irony is, our neighborhood is sympathetic to justice for George Floyd. We are actually North of where he was killed. The Cup Grocery neighborhood, where it happend, is pretty much untouched because locals were out and on guard every night..
We sustained most of the vandalism. Neighbors have stood outside of Longfellow Market every night and even chased a person away who was trying to set the building on fire. The persons setting fires are really not a part of the protests.Longfellow Market is our only local grocery untouched.
Many of the businesses are minority owned. You are right, it will take years to rebuild and some businesses already stressed by Covid-19 were done in by this.

I was up until 3AM keeping an eye on the neighborhood. It was quiet, except for the Blackhawks overhead. I did find out that my newest nextdoor neighbor is a Marine Medic veteran and served two tours in Afghanistan. He said to get him if anybody needs help because emergency services are so taxed, not all calls are being answered.
. We are going shooting when when the ranges open. He likes WWII rifles too.
The neighborhood is really getting organizing and getting stronger. Sanford School had a huge response to its emergency food program. They had to open satellite drop off/pick up sites to handle all the response. Getting to know the neighbors and their positive responses are the best thing to come out of all this.
Me and Momo will watch the neighborhood again tonight. If it is quiet, maybe we will get to bed before 3AM.
Lee, Saw the Longfellow market story on the news. God bless you folks for defending the neighborhood. The bad guys look for easy targets. I am afraid the gov & mayor
didn't understand that. There are protesters & looters-2 different groups that need to be dealt with differently. Hope it calms down before more trouble.
Missed you on the ride. Paul

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Sorry but this thread is starting to border on the political side. I will keep my 1st and 2nd amendment comments to myself. Stay safe all.
Yeah, keep politics out of it. I "Speak Softly and carry a big stick."

I answered 311 calls from a broad range of people today. Some making statements for the killed man. Others who reported trucks without plates on them. Others I had to refer to 911 for their safety. Some, because Stop lights weren't working. Others who needed building permits.. Only a few were nasty and always hung up before I coulld simply asked them, "Is there anything I can help you with." As a public servant, I serve everyone and don't have the luxuary of expressing my political views or swagger. Not everyone can do it.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Lee, Saw the Longfellow market story on the news. God bless you folks for defending the neighborhood. The bad guys look for easy targets. I am afraid the gov & mayor
didn't understand that. There are protesters & looters-2 different groups that need to be dealt with differently. Hope it calms down before more trouble.
Missed you on the ride. Paul
We had a safety meeting a few days ago for the Longfellow neighborhood while you guys were on the ride. Longfellow Park was a sea of neighbors. I've gotten to know neighbors I never met before. Maybe I mentioned I found out my newest neighbor is a twice depoyed to Afganistant Marine Medic and that we both like WWII rifles and are going shooting when the pandemic allows. He said, especially with 911 being overwhelmed, that he could help us if we had any emergency medical needs.

We really are a more community oriented neighborhood than before the crisis.
Longfellow Strong!

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Sucks this is happening. 4 years ago when Sherman Park protesters burned down their neighborhood in Milwaukee over a similar incident it hurt the area a lot. Many groups stood up to try and rebuild it and eventually renovated 100 house. It's finally making a comeback but I wouldn't want to live there.

I have some friends who bought a house near there and they said since this new mess is going on it's car horns and sirens all the time and hard to keep their kid asleep at night.

Stay safe everyone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
First chance I've had to get on here and thank you Randall, for a great ride! Great weather, and good roads. Little gravel, so I hope you got that out of your system. Thanks again. Looking forward to the 'proper' ride later this season!
053020.jpg

Reactions: Fafnir and TheValk

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I was all fired up for the ride. Hope to make the BBQ ride!

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
First chance I've had to get on here and thank you Randall, for a great ride! Great weather, and good roads. Little gravel, so I hope you got that out of your system. Thanks again. Looking forward to the 'proper' ride later this season! View attachment 201323
How many Twisted Twins were there at the ride?

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
How many Twisted Twins were there at the ride?
Paul's GL, Joe's GL, my CX.
Charlie and Eric on Goldwings, Dave on his Suzuki(?).
If I get my GL650 setup in time, there might not be any CXs next time.

Randall

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was thinking about riding the Goldwing next time, but I just I just got some new bling for the GL500. Shorter shield, chrome trim, stock mirrors. Might have to ride it again to show it off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I was thinking about riding the Goldwing next time, but I just I just got some new bling for the GL500. Shorter shield, chrome trim, stock mirrors. Might have to ride it again to show it off.
Did you buy a shorter shield or cut one? I'd like my Turbo Slipstreamer's top to be a little lower. I think I have it raked as far as it will go. I can just peer over the top.
Maybe different headlight fasteners?

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Maybe I can slight the handlebar fasteners back just a little to give more rake.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Lee, it might be easier to cut the headlight opening a little larger than to cut it off the top.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lee,

The windshield came as a package with the chrome trim, mirrors, and headlight visor (not on yet). It just happened to be shorter and narrower than the one I already have. I look over both of them, have yet to try the new one on the road. Camping with the family over the weekend and now the dang wind.

Joe

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
566 Posts
I could have ridden my 81 R100 BMW but we don't pound down the freeway for miles so the GL is fine even w/o windshield besides I like to see twisted twins (or older Jap) machines on the ride. That is why I never brought my HD Electra Glide to any events-too boring.
Paul

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Paul's GL, Joe's GL, my CX.
Charlie and Eric on Goldwings, Dave on his Suzuki(?).
If I get my GL650 setup in time, there might not be any CXs next time.

Randall
My Kawasaki 750 needed some excersize. Not to worry, on the official ride I will be on my CX500C, got to keep it in the family .

121 - 140 of 158 Posts