Honda CX 500 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Hey guys. I was going to wait and see how to tonight went, but I think I need to stay at home. Helicopters are gone but you can still smell smoke. Don't want to leave Jean alone at home. Next time at the BBQ! Have fun!

Lee in Longfellow

View attachment 201197
Understood. I'm sorry it's come to this. Be safe.

Randall

·
Registered
232 Posts
Same, it's pretty crazy what some people will do.

I've been working from home in New Ulm. A little while ago a friend in Mankato text and said there have been crowds and looting starting there too. Why?!

It just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,081 Posts
Thanks Randall!
Here is specifically why I am cautious about tomorrow: Folks on social media, including troublemakers from both sides of the political spectrum, are supposed to start arriving from around the country to Minneapolis. Maybe up to 50,000 people. I am prepared to protect my household and my neighbors. We are good and I plan to keep it that way.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So I'm sitting in the parking lot waiting and having an early lunch. I just heard about 10 gunshota shots and a couple return fire. Damn.

It's been a few minutes. No sirens or anything so hopefully it wasn't what it sounded like.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Just got home from the Spring mini-Ride. Valk was there (good to meet you, Joe), as were Thumper, April2007, Dobie and his friend Eric (interim owner of Kawazywngr's GL500I, for those keeping track.)
My daughter Anna was riding pillion. (I suspect this won't be her last time.) My first time leading a ride two-up. It worked to keep my exuberance in check.
Thanks to all who came out. I hope to see you again at a proper event later this summer.

Randall

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
566 Posts
I am close enough to Precinct 3 to hear the helicopters 24hrs a day. Sirens and explosions are heard at open windows. Sirens come and go. Sounds like a war zone.
I can go around Lake and Minnehaha, If I think it is safe to leave Jean at home alone.
Stopped by Paul's today. Boy, he lives really near by. He plans on being on the ride with his trunk to test your keys on.
Lee,
It would be even closer if you turned the right way. Brought some of the pecan rolls to work at the HD store'. I was smart enough to not bring all of them.
Just got home from the Spring mini-Ride. Valk was there (good to meet you, Joe), as were Thumper, April2007, Dobie and his friend Eric (interim owner of Kawazywngr's GL500I, for those keeping track.)
My daughter Anna was riding pillion. (I suspect this won't be her last time.) My first time leading a ride two-up. It worked to keep my exuberance in check.
Thanks to all who came out. I hope to see you again at a proper event later this summer.

Randall
R, Perfect day for ride-Your GPS definitely put me thru some new neighborhoods. The route & -stops made it easy on this old man even w/o a windshield
I wasn't even tired or stiff ( probably 1st ride this spring over 30 min). Thanks to all who brought keys for me & Valk to try in our tall trunks even tho no luck.
Paul

·
Registered
232 Posts
I made it home! 330 miles round trip. It was a fun time, I'd do that again.

It was great meeting you all.

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
It was a fun time, I'd do that again.
That's good. You were looking a little shell shocked today. I was afraid you wouldn't want to come back near the city. (I don't really want to be near the city, either.)

Randall

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Good to hear the ride went well and you guys made it home before the curfew. I went out for a bike (pedal) ride with Melody to come home to learn we now have a curfew in Milwaukee.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That's good. You were looking a little shell shocked today. I was afraid you wouldn't want to come back near the city. (I don't really want to be near the city, either.)

Randall
That's pretty normal for me. I'm not a big group person. 99% of my riding is solo and typically 200-300 a pop with minimal stops. Thought about going out again after I got home yesterday, but decided to fiddle with new parts instead.

Also ended up breaking the BMW key too. Good times all around.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
While you guys were riding, I was at a community safety meeting at Longfellow Park for the communities close to Precinct 3. As long time Block Captain, I organized a patrol and leafletted all my neighbors about precautions (have a fire hose ready, get garbage cans off the allies, keep lights on all night.) Our organizers sent out an email saying that the Governor wanted us not to patrol, because Police and National Guard would be equipped with l lethal ammo.

So our patrols kept a vigil from our front yards and alleys. Blackhawk helicopters replace the Police helicopters. I am two blocks from Lake St. and could hear a mob of 1,000 marching toward the Lake St Mississippi bridge. St. Paul Police would not allow them to cross. I stayed up late to make sure they didn't disappear into our residential neighborhood.
Happy to find out that our newest neighbor, that we share a gate and fence with, is a Young Marine Combat Medic. We also have an MD and Nurse on our block. Other neighbors guarded our last grocery store in the Longfellow neighborhood, Longfellow Market. And it has not been damaged or looted.

The National Guard and State Troopers did a great job last night. People from outside of Minnesota (extremist from both sides of the political spectrum and kids looking for adventure) are coming here to do the arson and they are rounding some up.

Here is an article from the Sunday Paper:
Native American volunteers arrested Wisconsin youth trying to break into a Liquor Store and called their mothers to come to Minneapolis and get them .

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
566 Posts
That's pretty normal for me. I'm not a big group person. 99% of my riding is solo and typically 200-300 a pop with minimal stops. Thought about going out again after I got home yesterday, but decided to fiddle with new parts instead.

Also ended up breaking the BMW key too. Good times all around.
Valk,
Exactly the style of riding I did since 2008 when the company I worked for walked 22 of us out the door-I was all ready drawing SS so no big deal. Bought new HD in 10 & put 75,000
miles on it in 10yrs-sold it last year. But few yrs back bought 81 R100 BMW but in honor of
the Twisted Twins. Brought the GL for the ride. Which BMW you got? This group was pretty easy to ride with-I not happy with a pack of bikes. Glad you made the trip.
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Lee,
It would be even closer if you turned the right way. Brought some of the pecan rolls to work at the HD store'. I was smart enough to not bring all of them.

Paul
Great! Our pan of them wash finished off yesterday. All that Blackhawk noise makes you hungery for butter and sugar! "Hahaha!*

·
Registered
232 Posts
Valk,
Exactly the style of riding I did since 2008 when the company I worked for walked 22 of us out the door-I was all ready drawing SS so no big deal. Bought new HD in 10 & put 75,000
miles on it in 10yrs-sold it last year. But few yrs back bought 81 R100 BMW but in honor of
the Twisted Twins. Brought the GL for the ride. Which BMW you got? This group was pretty easy to ride with-I not happy with a pack of bikes. Glad you made the trip.
Paul
Paul,

I have a '99 F650 Funduro, and I'm now a pedestrian as far as it's concerned. I have 3 new blanks on the way, but the only good one I have is now in 2 pieces. I'll have to try find a locksmith that can/will cut them.

Joe

Attachments

101 - 120 of 158 Posts