Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Looks good !

Nice and compact, just the thing for a bike

I was going to voice reservations on the thresholds until I saw

they are user customisable. Cant knock that.

I like it !

I may get one for the beemer.

I have my own DIY version on the CX which works well and I can beat the

price on components but not for compactness, ease of fitting and time.

Its a very useful gizmo for keeping an eye on the charging system

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Dave,now one of our resident electrical wizards
has spoken.why not get in touch with the seller,change the order for two,and then you could send me one,you know,a bit like a new year present

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well ain't you special !

With toys for bikes, I'm pathologically incapable of feeling remorse or guilt. My good wife helps me with that though.

Yes Bandit, it's good to see Regs' nod of approval. Hope the user reprogrammable option doesn't need an electrical engineering degree. Did you say something else?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Heck, if you are getting one for Bandit, pick up a half dozen for me too. They seem like a good solution to a common problem area on these bikes. And very easy to hide if you wanted to.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Fox - Bandit isn't getting one. He can ride over in the sunshine after work and pick up his own. Actually, I just got an email from Sparkbright Products stating the monitor has been shipped Airmail 1st Class. Wow.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
No Fox - Bandit isn't getting one. He can ride over in the sunshine after work and pick up his own. Actually, I just got an email from Sparkbright Products stating the monitor has been shipped Airmail 1st Class. Wow.
OH YEah,and where were you when God dished out charity? and kindness

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
For any of the newbies here I will totally vouch for any kind of battery tender/monitor.

I got one a couple months ago and have kept it on my new battery that I got in August...what an AMAZING difference it makes when starting the bike when it's cold out....having a FULLY charged battery is just the cat's meow.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
This is a recent post by 'stich asking about these things:

Cheap Battery Monitor

The one in 'stichs link is a little more money, but a better commercial unit from the look of it. Not that you should believe everything you read, but in this case it rings true.

Gammatronics Monitor on FleaBay

They'll both work just fine, just some FYI and options for anyone still shopping for one.

There seems to be some interest in these, I wonder what their quantity price would be? At least $2.00 saved on shipping if re-shipped from US address with a first class stamp. Every CX/GL should have one of these onboard.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I bought mine last night from the other company. Better than spending $40 for the one made in the US that has a box attached to it.

The details for this one seem to be a bit more accurate with a few more readings over 12. But all I want to see is a green reading.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
...But all I want to see is a green reading.

My preference is to have the LED extinguished if all is well. A constantly lit LED is rather annoying to me, especially while riding at night.

When starting the bike or idling at a stop light the charging circuit output is low and the voltage droops to where the monitor should indicate a fault. This is a good thing, as it indicates the monitor is working properly.

He responded to my email (that was fast!). One of the questions was if the monitor could be programmed so the LED is not lit when all is well, and the response was that it was no problem.

The other question was if testing had been done under high humidity conditions. The response was that the board was conformally coated and then has heatshrink applied, so it should be well protected. He suggested applying some silicone around the supplied bezel and where the wires exit the heatshrink in the rear for wet conditions.

I'd want to do my own testing just for verification, though.

I also directed him to this thread.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
good work Dave

arnt we lucky on this forum to have so many switched on guys looking out for us

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I tested the ones I built for TrevH and Baz's R80 in a bucket of water

Honest !

Distracting lights at night are obviously annoying if not dangerous but its easy to diffuse them or keep them out

of eyeline

I think I undertand Daves requirement for the LED to off

unless theres a problem but if its off, how do you know its working?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
The monitor gets tested every time the bike is started and every time the rpm's drop down to the point that the battery is not being charged, such as at a stop light with the brake lights lit.

True, a failure of the monitor that occurs while riding will not be detected. But the monitor's health can be assessed the next time the bike is started.

Edit - words in italics added for clarification.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
So, Dave, if the charging system failed at speed, would not the yellow or red part of the LED light? If you could program just the green to be off, that would be great. Depending on the brightness, maybe a green light would provide some reassurance tho.

I would be up for a group buy on these if someone wanted to grab the ball. Or maybe list on this thread how much interest there is.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
So, Dave, if the charging system failed at speed, would not the yellow or red part of the LED light?...

Yes, that's the idea. A charging system fault would still be detected.

Depending on the brightness, maybe a green light would provide some reassurance tho...

It would provide some reassurance but I'd rather not have it lit at all if there are no problems. For example, the oil sensor light would also provide some reassurance if it was green when the oil pressure is ok. But I'd prefer to have it off until there is a problem.

This is mostly a personal preference matter, although it is important to me. At the present time I'm using the Signal Dynamics monitor but the green LED lead has been clipped for the same reason.

This new product looks great, especially for naked bikes with no fairing space in which to stuff an electronics module. I'll likely use one on the next project bike after having done some testing.

Andrew of Sparkbright Products is following this thread. He asked me to point out that although the unit can be customized at build time it is not user-programmable. So if a person found the settings not suited for their application it would have to be returned for reprogramming.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.