Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Honda CX500 Custom
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m posting this mostly looking for some advice/suggestions on my next project. I recently came across 3 bikes for sale near me (at a price I couldn’t pass up) and decided to snag them up for my next project. There is a 1979 cx500 deluxe, 1983 cx650c, and a 1982 gl500. Now for their issues…..The cx500 was left outside with the spark plugs taken out and as far as I can tell the engine is beyond saving however the gas tank is in good condition somehow. The cx650 was disassembled and all the frame parts powered coated but I picked up the bike in parts, the engine spins freely and as far as I can tell it is all there plus a lot of extra parts. The gl500 runs but apparently overheats and needs to be filled with water per the owner, it is missing the side covers and the seat is all but done for, front forks leaking real bad as well. Again they are in no way good condition bikes but I see potential and I feel like it could be fun given how my last experience went. Here’s what I hope to do….use the gl500 frame (mostly because of the mono shock and more angular look vs the rounded cxframe) use the front end off the cx650 for the larger fork diameter and in my opinion better looking triple tree, use the cx650 engine and swap the output shaft from the locked up cx500 engine to fit the gl shaft and final drive. I plan to use the comstar wheels that came on the gl500 but I also have a set of the silver comstars of the deluxe I could potentially use (anything but the cx650 mag wheels). That’s pretty much it, I feel like I shouldn’t run into too many major issues with this but I would like to get some outside input. The things I am most concerned about right now are
1: will the cx500 output shaft fit into the cx650?
2: I need some tips on fixing the engine hangers to fit the cx650 engine
3: The steering neck on the cx650 is a few inches longer than the gl so I would presumably have to but be able to weld the original shaft from the gl triple tree onto the cx650 triple tree (it looks like there is just a circular weld at the base is all that’s holding the shaft to the bottom clamp).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Look for GL650 engine hangers and it will bolt right up to the GL500 frame. With the CX650 front end you are pretty much stuck with the rim. The disk is larger and attaches differently.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The output shafts will interchange between the 650 and 500 motors.

Murray makes a hanger for this application.

I don't know anything about the steering question.
Murray no longer makes the hangers to put a 650 on a 500 frame. I had to modify my own for my swap.

While output shafts do swap, for intact engine swap purposes the cx500 and the gl650 shafts are the same. the cx650 has a different output shaft, and im not sure on the gl500.

·
Registered
24,569 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Honda CX500 Custom
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
Good price. As heavy as they are. The free shipping takes up a good bit of that.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Are you doing a lot of 650 swaps into GL500s, Murray?

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
i do a fair number of them as getting 650s permits
Advantages to using the 500 frame, versus the 650? Or is it what customers already have that they want to upgrade?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Advantages to using the 500 frame, versus the 650? Or is it what customers already have that they want to upgrade?
Personally i like the "traditional" riding style more than the semi chopper style. The standard, euros & turbos don't have the "chopper" stance IIRC.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Except for the cruiser style handlebar, the naked GL is what I would call a standard.

Reactions: richnct
1 - 19 of 19 Posts