Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am a new member on this forum, and have recently purchased an ‘82 GL500. In spite of having only 12k miles and running very well, the mufflers have rust holes starting to emerge. I have noted that David Silver offers replica replacements for the ‘81 CX500, but does not list the GL500 as a model. I’ll go out on a limb and guess that the ‘81 CX500 mufflers are not a swap with the ‘82 GL500, but figured I’d ask here before giving up on the idea. If not, does anyone else know of a source for replica replacements for the GL500?

Thank you!!
Tom

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,480 Posts
Welcome, Tom.
Since the CX500 and GL500 share the same engine, the mufflers would work on your Silverwing. Rumor has it, though, that the aftermarket replicas don't last very long.
The best wearing replacements to be had are stock Harley Davidson mufflers, frequently removed immediately at sale and replaced with something obnoxious. Whatever you might think of them, HD does good chrome.
It's commonly claimed that you can get them for next to nothing. That hasn't been my experience, but if you watch diligently, you'll find a good deal now and then. Look for unmolested mufflers with the baffles intact, without integral catalytic converters, and without crossover ports. Pre-2000 DynaGlide mufflers are closest in size to the stock CX500 parts. You might like the Road Kings, but I think they're a little long (maybe well proportioned for the GL?). The shorter Sportster mufflers might be easier to come by.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Over the last two years I have scored a NOS pair of bullet style HDs for $50 and a 50 mile trip (installed on my Deluxe with some bracket magic) and recently a pair of slash cut style “like new” for $0 and delivered from a fellow Brit Iron associate. I’ve been watching for them for a while though. They’re heavier than stock, (weight is carried very low 👍) but may last forever. 😁

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome, Tom.
Since the CX500 and GL500 share the same engine, the mufflers would work on your Silverwing. Rumor has it, though, that the aftermarket replicas don't last very long.
The best wearing replacements to be had are stock Harley Davidson mufflers, frequently removed immediately at sale and replaced with something obnoxious. Whatever you might think of them, HD does good chrome.
It's commonly claimed that you can get them for next to nothing. That hasn't been my experience, but if you watch diligently, you'll find a good deal now and then. Look for unmolested mufflers with the baffles intact, without integral catalytic converters, and without crossover ports. Pre-2000 DynaGlide mufflers are closest in size to the stock CX500 parts. You might like the Road Kings, but I think they're a little long (maybe well proportioned for the GL?). The shorter Sportster mufflers might be easier to come by.
I've gotten them for as low as $20 at a swap meet up to $50 via Craiglist. They do work great on most any vintage bike. I've used them on a CX, GL1100, and Triumph Adventurer. Try to get the smaller sportster one as some of the large models will interfere with rear axles or shock mounts, at least on my recent CX usage. You often have to fab some mounting brackets depending on the bike.

On a CX
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

On a GL1100
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

On a Triumph Adventurer, which had room for larger HD pipes.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hello!

I am a new member on this forum, and have recently purchased an ‘82 GL500. In spite of having only 12k miles and running very well, the mufflers have rust holes starting to emerge. I have noted that David Silver offers replica replacements for the ‘81 CX500, but does not list the GL500 as a model. I’ll go out on a limb and guess that the ‘81 CX500 mufflers are not a swap with the ‘82 GL500, but figured I’d ask here before giving up on the idea. If not, does anyone else know of a source for replica replacements for the GL500?

Thank you!!
Tom
I selling an hbox and one OEM GL500 exhaust if that helps. Might have one or two headers as well.

·
Registered
GL650
454 Posts
I have Harley mufflers on my GL650. I think they are Dyna mufflers. I've used them on several GL500s. If you're lucky as I was with this last set, they will bolt right up and one bolt from the stock hangers lands right in the groove on the Harley muffler. They are pretty quiet mostly, but nice and throaty when you rip it -- I like the sound much more than the stock mufflers.

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
724 Posts
Most HD mufflers have a part # stamped on them. Most cover quite a few years so with that info guy can reference what model/year to look for.
Paul

·
Registered
GL650
454 Posts
Most HD mufflers have a part # stamped on them. Most cover quite a few years so with that info guy can reference what model/year to look for.
Paul
65747-94
Here's a nice set dyna mufflers on ebay

Hilarious somebody is asking 600 bucks for a set.

·
Registered
GL650
454 Posts
Just wanted to provide some more info and pics, hopefully this will be of help to the original poster and others. Here are some pics of a set of 65747-94 Harley mufflers mounted on my current GL650, no welding, no fabrication. I mocked it up first without bolts. I saw where everything was gonna land and I opted to bolt the original hangers to the Harley mufflers with some short bolts and lock nuts. On the right side I had to move the hanger to the inside of the frame to get the muffler to line up. I ran a long bolt (same thread as the original bolt that holds the footpeg in place) through from the wheel side, pinched the hanger between the bolt and the frame, installed footpeg, added nut. The footpeg does not have the tang holding it in place but my passengers have had no problem with the footpeg moving. The mufflers have held fine for thousands of miles.
The only issue now is: I used to have some tiger tape or similar muffler repair tape in place of a gasket between the H-box and the muffler (OEM part #18392-MG7-750). It was torn up when I removed my exhaust for the triple bypass, and I was anxious to ride, so I put it together with the clamps that came with the Harley mufflers when I bought them, but no gasket or sealant. I had been using the OEM muffler clamps but one was stripped out, and these seem beefier anyway. But there is a leak at that joint for sure, noisy and stinky. So make sure you think about sealing that joint, otherwise this is a simple bolt-up replacement, looks pretty good too. The best compliment I had though was from a CBX owner I ran into at a gas station somewhere in Western Nebraska, who said he heard me coming and said the sound reminded him of a perfectly tuned Chevy 348 with glass packs.

Go ahead, laugh at my sidestand wire grab handle. I need to learn to weld!
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Automotive lighting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts